Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Mode Conditioning Patch Cables on Mixed SM/MM Runs

I read that the maximum length of a mode conditioned patch cable run is 550m over MM fibre. But is that the amount of just the MM run or the total run, including any SM portions.

​

Here's the situation. I'm trying to connect a building that is at the end of a ~440m OM2 (50um) MM fibre run (see ASCII art at bottom). However, the other end of the OM2 run is a "fibre hut" that then has a further ~1km SM run to the main telecom facility (where my core campus routers/switches are). Since the OM2 run is under the 550m limit I expect the mode-conditioned cable to work fine to the hut, however, if that's at the end of a longer SM run, I'm not certain it will work. I've used conditioning cables in the past but always on a pure MM run, never a mixed run like this.

​

How can I determine if this setup is likely to work?

​

ASCII art:

​

Main Telecom Room (MDF) Core Switch ---> ~1km Single mode fibre ---> Mode conditioned cable ---> 440m OM2 fibre ---> Building's distribution (IDF) switch



No comments:

Post a Comment