Saturday, August 11, 2018

Making a distributed downloading system

So, I stay in my college hostel. There is speed cap on individual connections to the wifi, so I wanted to build a software that would allow me download different chunks of a file in parallel with more than one laptop co-operating with each other, then transfer all the downloaded chunks to one of the laptops and then merge all the chunks. This would let us download files way faster. I have a fair bit of knowledge in basics of networking, but I have no idea how to do this.

If someone could give me a general framework of how this can be done, I'd appreciate it. Let's assume it's a legal torrent file I'm download, to be more specific. Thanks :)

P.S This is not a college project, it's just something that I want to do out of my interest. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment