Saturday, August 18, 2018

L3VPN Local-AS

When peering via ebgp sessions is it a requirement to set local-as either via the routing-instance config or the routing-instance bgp group config?

I’ve been having issues when dual homing back to customers from the mpls we host - pe’s were not seeing each other’s routes if I configured a local-as. Upon checking the logs it showed the routes were not present due to an AS loop. Fair enough I thought.

I then labbed it up and removed the local-as config, meaning the peers were using our global AS number within the bgp session. This caused the AS loop prevention to not kick in and both pe’s were able to see each other’s routes.

It seems the local-as specified gets appended to the AS-path but the global does not.

I’ve read plenty of mpls setup guides and none state to use a local-as within the specific routing-instance bgp settings, but for some reason that is what my company has historically been doing.

Should I be using a local-as per routing-instance or is it unececcary as I’m beginning to suspect?



No comments:

Post a Comment