Saturday, August 18, 2018

I need to place my router in ISP's DMZ

My networking skills are marginal at best and I do apologize if any of you find this hard to read. Here is my situation.

I live in a Rural Area and my only option outside of Satellite internet and dial up is a local ISP that I've been with since moving to my home 7 years. The ISP has come a long way from when it first started but the last year has been really terrible in terms of online gaming while paying outrageous amounts for speeds you would laugh at. I recently realized that I had a double NAT situation going on, which I was able to resolve by placing my home router in bridge mode. I connect to the internet via a line of sight PPoE connection. I have no issue streaming or downloading things but maintaining a connection to any online game (WoW, Rocket League, Overwatch, anything) results in huge rubber banding and disconnections. I have no ability to open ports, assign IP's etc as that is controlled on my ISP side.

What I would like to do is use 2 physical routers to remove any port blocking my ISP has. I would like to place the first physical router into the ISP's DMZ (they provided me the IP address), and then connect another router to that which would be connected to the rest of my home network. My hope is that I can open ports or make adjustments that would allow for better connectivity to the various online games I play.

Again, I apologize if anything is unclear here.



No comments:

Post a Comment