Friday, August 3, 2018

Fortinet entry-level firewall questions

Hey all,

I'm looking at maybe picking up a Fortinet Fortigate 50E (FWF-50) and had some questions.

First question is regarding the licensing. I see that I can buy them from a lot of places both new and used. I know new I won't have a license and even with Amazon I've seen some complaints about people getting a device that shows up with just a few months left on the term due to the clock starting when it left the first vendor rather than when it left Amazon. So to avoid some of the headaches (and maybe save some cash buying a used one) I was thinking I'd get it without licensing and just buy the license separate and load it on. Is there any problem with this approach?

Next is access points. I've had issues in the past with the various WIFI routers I've owned due to where the cable comes into the house. As is often the case where the wiring comes in isn't ideal to get full coverage. That said I'd like to run cabling upstairs and put an AP up there. Are there any caveats to adding an AP to this device that I should be aware of? I've never actually used Fortinets at all, where I work was a Juniper shop and has converted to a Cisco shop. I know both of those have some weird quirks with what's compatible with what, etc and I just want to make sure there's no big gotchas other than checking to see if the models are compatible with each other.

I am actually leaving my job in a couple weeks to take a new role at a place that's a Fortinet shop. That coupled with a bit of inspiration from this sub has got me thinking I'd like to upgrade my home kit from the mid-grade Netgear home crap I have to entry level small business kit (baby steps). To be honest until I saw a few threads here I had no idea Fortinet sold an entry level line that's this affordable so I'd never considered it as being an option for home.



No comments:

Post a Comment