Thursday, August 2, 2018

EPLAN - How is it supposed to work?

I have a client transitioning from an ATT fiber connection between their two offices to one provided by charter and Comcast. This new connection is an EPLAN and I have no experience with them previously.

I've been told it's a port based connection so whatever goes in one side should come out the other, including broadcast. Is this not the case?

Right now I have a router with a separate network set up. If I plug the cable into a laptop I get an IP and can access the internet, everything works. If I plug that same cable into the EPLAN they get nothing on the other side - can't even ping the interface of the router.

We've tried testing it by just plugging the EPLAN into the main switch. Also just tried a single computer plugged in to the other end with a static IP and couldn't ping the interface of the router which is connected directly to the other side. Nothing we have done has been able to even get a ping across the EPLAN.

The other side is just a small office with a switch and some computers and do not have a separate internet connection, they will be using the main location's internet.

I've had a couple charter techs say it should work the way it is set up. I've had another charter tech now tell me both sides have to have a router....

Been waiting on charter support to verify the EPLAN for a couple days now, seems they have found a couple problems but it still doesn't work. The last mile being Comcast has really thrown a wrench in everything.

Anyway, any help appreciated.

Edit: reworded a part to add in the bit about the internet. Edit2: added the bit about testing.



No comments:

Post a Comment