Thursday, August 23, 2018

ELI5: WAN vs LAN IP Block from ISP

Hey guys, I work for a small company and we upgraded our ISP services from cable to a newly installed fiber base service that was brought into the complex.

When procuring the circuit the vendor gave us a /30 on the WAN side and a /29 on the LAN side, however, we were under the impression that we were going to get a public facing /29 on the WAN side.

When I spoke to our rep he noted that the services are cheaper because we went the route we did (not an issue) and seemed generally confused why we couldn’t utilize the /29 LAN block.

Setup: ISP NID Ciena 3930 in the buildings “Meet Me” is extended into our space via SMF where it is then directly connected to a Cisco 2921 router. We are currently utilizing the /30 to go DIA our to the gateway but would like a /29 to add voice services, HA, etc.

Can someone please explain: 1) Why is the vendor so confused by my request 2) Why would I need a /29 LAN block if I’m doing the routing. Can I even use the /29 LAN block? 3) Could they potentially just move the LAN block over to the WAN side? (Forgive the ignorance on the ISP side)

TLDR: Vendor gave us a /30 on the WAN side and a /29 LAN block but we were expecting /29 on the WAN side. What is the difference? Can we utilize the /29 LAN block if I’m doing the routing?



No comments:

Post a Comment