Thursday, August 16, 2018

ELI5 -- GVRP

Ok, maybe not really ELI5. I have a pretty good understanding of networking, but limited to smallish businesses. I work for an MSP, and one of my customers has an "IT guy" that tries to fix things himself before calling us pretty often. I've tried to talk to them about this practice, but to no avail. They keep paying us to fix stuff "IT guy" breaks, so it's all good.

Long story short, internal network is default VLAN 1, and Guest WiFi is VLAN 20. IT guy decides to turn on STP on all switches (HP/Aruba, if that's relevant), then later calls in a ticket that the guest wifi doesn't work. STP apparently enabled GVRP on VLAN 20 and overwrote the existing VLAN config. I have never worked with GVRP before, so my best solution at the time was to disable GVRP and statically assign VLAN 20 to the AP switch ports to restore service as it was before.

Is GVRP useful at all in a scenario like this? I briefly read up on it, but it doesn't sound like I'd ever need it in a SMB environment. Honestly I've never even had much use for spanning tree other than enabling redundant paths in a couple environments.



No comments:

Post a Comment