Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Creating a Host only Network VM to VM help

So my first VM is a kali linux OS, within that VM, I downloaded VirtualBox and created another VM (OWASP_Broken_Web_Apps_VM.ova -> it's a type of webserver OS environment which is purposefully vulnerable) ... so I'm trying to create a Host only network between those two.

​

First off can a host only network be created this way? Or do I have to actually create a guest addition in the host Kali Linux VM?

​

But to continue with problem..

For the initial Host only network setup, I opened a Host only Adapter on the Kali Linux VM and set a static ip to 192.168.56.1, with the mask 255.255.255.0 and I opened a Host only Adapter in the OWASP VM and set the static ip to 192.168.56.101 with mask 255.255.255.0

​

From the host kali linux OS, whenever I ping the OWASP VM all the packets are shown to being transmitted perfectly but when I enter the command ifconfig the eth0 adapter for the kali linux OS is not showing any TX packets being sent out, only the loopback adapter TX packets are going up.

​

Now from the OWASP VM, whenever I ping the host kali linux VM I get a Destination Host Unreachable, and when I enter the ifconfig command from the OWASP VM the eth0 TX and the loopback TX packets of the OWASP VM are going up.....also when I enter the ifconfig command on the host kali linux VM I can see the vboxnet0 adapter (which is linked to the OWASP VM) TX packets going up.

​

So I believe there is some type of connection between the two I just don't know to what degree and how to fix it so they both can send and receive packets from one another. Thank you.



No comments:

Post a Comment