Thursday, August 2, 2018

Advice on outdoor fibre installation

Hi r/networking,

I’ve been asked to assist with a network installation in a rural area to provide network connectivity to 35 different buildings that are ~200m from a PoP. We are planning on installing fibre switches at the PoP and media converters w/ SFPs at each building.

I’ve done many installations of fibre but this scenario is a bit new to me and I have some concerns about the type of fibre that needs to be used and the termination of it. In the past I’ve used pre-terminated cables on indoor runs. Would any kind Redditor be able to shed some light on the following:

  • Are there any special considerations I should make in selecting the cable? I know I’ll need a cable rated for outdoor use but is there anything less obvious I should know?

  • Will we need any sort of fibre distribution hub or ODF? Is using pre-terminated cable feasible in this scenario? Are there any risks involved?

Any other general advice you may be able to offer me? :)

Thanks!



No comments:

Post a Comment