Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Theory Question. Why use BDI over VLAN Subinterfaces?

Hey everyone. Working as an intern this summer for an MSP and a lot of my work has me checking configs on CE routers running two VLAN's over a single circuit to our Core routers.

For the most part most of these are broken up using standard subinterfaces configured for each VLAN.

Today I ran across an ASR-920 that had 2 BDI's set up to separate the traffic instead of using VLAN's like I've seen on the ISR routers.

I did some research on lunch and got the gist of the general difference between the two services but I'm still not seeing the benefits behind using BDI's.

If anyone could spare some time to shed some light on this I'd really appreciate it.

Sorry If my description is unclear or kind of fucked... let me know and I'll do my best to clarify.



No comments:

Post a Comment