Friday, July 13, 2018

Strange network request from a client

Hi everyone,

I work at a place that provides office space for small companies. I have a broker asking for my company to assign a public IP to a device for about 3 times the amount we normally charge. The person we have been in touch with claims to not know what exactly this device will be doing other than the following explanation:

"My understanding is that it is primarily ping / tracert data between the network of these, with the data being aggregated (loss at certain network hops,etc). ... The WAN device is a Meraki Z3 (acting as the firewall / gateway), with a POE powered UBNT edge router fastened to the top of the meraki. My limited tech understanding is that they used to do this with the UBNT devices only, but they have been using the additional of the merki simple because of the easy of remote management / alerting."

We allow firewalls and devices all the time for companies to hook up with their company networks, but this person hasn't been very forthcoming with the purpose of this type of setup. The other twist is that it's for a company that doesn't even have permanent space here. It's just all sorts of confusing... can anyone glean what this type of setup might be doing or am I just being paranoid because of lack of knowledge? I'm fine with hosting, it's just that there are some conflicts of interest and the conversation and other prior conversations have rubbed me the wrong way.

Thanks in advance!



No comments:

Post a Comment