Friday, July 20, 2018

Rolling your own 10gig BGP router

Alright fellow networking nerds. We have an aging infrastructure of Cat 6506Es w/ VS-S720-10G PFC3CXL as our BGP routers. We take multiple full feeds. As you might have guessed the memory and cpu of those sups are starting to struggle greatly. When a BGP link flaps depending on the time of time will cause other routing processes to fail and even drop packets flowing through the device.

Now I know what you are saying just by a new router and I agree something needs to be done but I'm one of those people that sometimes like to do things the hard-way.

The Cats are still more than capable of doing just internal routing and switching and in the ever on going battle to reduce costs I'm open to the idea of rolling my own BGP 10gig router.

I know the FRR project seems to be the latest hotness but I wanted to ask if anyone has really put it through its paces.

What underlying hardware did you use to run the software on?

We have a lot of opensource software already within our network so that isn't a major concern.

So anyone here seen or done it before?

I'll most likely end up going with one of the major networking vendors but it really grinds my gears at the nickle and diming they do with features and support.

So feel free to tell me I'm an idiot for even considering it but tell me WHY I'm an idiot.

Hope everyone has a great day.



No comments:

Post a Comment