Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Layer3 Switch Loop. Deactivate RSTP?

Hello, I got a problem I can't seem to solve myself. I am working on a Router Mesh topology. The Router need to still use VLAN's because we are running pseudowire E1 over each link and they can only be connected to a existing vlan. So that means all router in the Mesh topology are Layer3 Switches runnng ospf for the management but still using vlans around the network. Now as always with Vlan and layer 2 tchnology you are running into the loop problem. Since it is a mesh topology and each Port/Link has to be up at all times there are multiple physical loops in my network because they are connected to each other.

My main Question is now. Can I disable RSTP on each Router then with vlan tell the traffic where it can go and where it can not so to have a physical but not a logical loop without the network going down? Is this common practise to deactivate RSTP in a Layer 3 Switch Mesh enviroment or is this very bad practise?

Hope you understand my predicament.



No comments:

Post a Comment