Thursday, July 19, 2018

Factory reset switches in prod. network

Hello all,

I’ve been tasked with fixing an existing network that I don’t know much about (config wise), furthermore the old technician kept everything in his head so I have no passwords. All the switches are HPe and the clear button to clear passwords has been disabled. This is a production network with 4 servers (dual NICS), and about 200 static IP’d Devices split between 2 locations.

Building A has 6 switches which all connect back to a fiber switch that brings the connection to building B.

Building B had 6 switches. Main MDF has 3 switches and the fiber from building B along 2 pairs of unlabeled strands. The other 3 switches all have 2 pairs of fiber strands going back to I don’t know where yet, still trying to hunt it down. I have no idea how everything is configured now but there are two different IPs, vlans I think and this network does not have any outside access, just to it’s own devices.

We need to reset all the switches as we are finding ports have been disabled when trying to add new devices. So my plan is to factory reset all the switches and make a flat network however seems that we are getting close to our IP limit so I need to think about future proofing the setup a bit. My new plan is to create a few new vlans, some for the new IP range when we re-IP all the devices (at some point since we don’t know what device lands where) and some for the existing IP range so I get them back up and running as soon as possible. Just looking for some advice on the config. Also vlans can cross communicate with one another, no segregation needed.

Should I create all the vlans on all switches, trunk them on the fiber ports, and assign the ports to each specific vlan at the switches?



No comments:

Post a Comment