Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Core switch selection

I have a client that is looking to do a network refresh, replacing predominately 8 year old procurve at the edge and layer 3 core, and also trickling down some H3C 10gb switches we were using for HQ storage networking to the DR site. Note, we are only considering Cisco for this deployment.

The environment is roughly 250 users, but is a mission critical professional services organization, and so fault tolerance is critical. Probably a total of about 1500-2000 hosts on the network, counting the infrastructure devices, IP cameras, IP phones, printers, VMs, hypervisors, storage devices, etc. We also have no need for FC or FCoE - all storage traffic is and will likely stay IP.

We have four IDFs, which will each get a stack of between 3 and 6 48 port 9300s. I'll plan on a two 10g uplinks from different stack members, one to each core. I'm also going to have a horizontal IDF-IDF connection for additional redundancy.

I'll need to have a total of about 40 ports of 10gbe in the MDF for my uplinks to closets, as well as SAN and hypervisor connectivity. Will also need a handful of 1gb SFP ports for various other circuits and devices. My 10gb needs do not necessarily need to occur on the same switches I use for my layer 3 core. Before the newest generation, I likely would have used a pair of 3850 stacks with HSRP with some 48 port copper stacked with the 12xs 10gb SFP+ switches to meet both my redundant layer 3 device need, with the redundant uplink connectivity need to IDF and hosts\SANs alike. I need to be able to patch and bounce cores without taking down storage traffic, closet connectivity, etc. Use of things like VPC or virtual stacking for cross-stack etherchannel is a nice perk, but not purely necessary.

I'm looking at either the Cat 9500 platform, or the Nexus 9300. I have extensive experience with IOS-XE and IOS, less so with the NX-OS. We need policy based routing, OSPF - not planning on any vxlan or OTV\TRILL\ or any of that jazz. Therefore, I was debating on a pair of either of the aforementioned switch with a 24-48 port SFP+ configuration, a pair of cat9300 stacks for my 1gb copper requirements in the MDF.

So, my question - if it were you, what would you select for the core functionality?



No comments:

Post a Comment