Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Can't ping other IPv6 hosts

We started deploying IPv6 at a remote site as a pilot deployment. I believe I have most of the configuration correct, as my laptop can access and ping ipv6.google.com with success. I also have servers on a different vlan and subnet that can also access the Internet fine with IPv6. However, my laptop can't ping the server over IPv6.

So far I have verified there's no firewall on my laptop or server that would prevent reaching other. I can access it over IPv4 without issue.

Each device can ping it's own gateway, reach the internet, etc.. over IPv6.

Verified the firewall has no rules preventing cross subnet/vlan communication. Access works fine over IPv4.

I don't know much about IPv6, but it seems like I may need to configure something called router advertisements? Is it possible that even though no firewalls are blocking access, that the IPv6 network doesn't know how to route between each other?



No comments:

Post a Comment