Saturday, July 21, 2018

Bringing a router online caused an outage

I was tasked with swapping out a router in our core last night. When I powered it up it caused a 15-20minute outage and I’m looking for some advice on finding the cause of this.

Think of our core as a 4 router core, iBGP and mpls running over it. Router 1,2,3 and 4 all have independent ebgp session with internet carriers pulling in the full routing table. Remote sites come in via router 1. I replaced router 3.

When I brought the router down there was no issues. When I powered up the replacement router the remote sites immediately lost internet access, although a colleague working remote was able to ping router 1 loopback over the internet(public IP, he was at home)

I’m a bit stumped as to why the remote sites connected to router 1 would face issues when router 1 has a direct feed to the internet.

I’ve pulled the logs off all 4 routers after the outage and will take a look at them on Monday, just looking for some advice or tips before I spend hours looking through lines and lines of logs



No comments:

Post a Comment