Friday, July 13, 2018

Best Network Analyzer Tool (for the money)

Backstory: I have previously worked where there is access to Flukes pretty regularly. The current job, which I've been at for a couple years, does not have access to virtually any testing or analyzer tools. This makes life far less enjoyable, when a simple testing device could save so much headache. Add to that, I recently started moonlighting as a SMB MSP with a partner. Neither my day job, nor my business have tons of capital to spare, otherwise we would just buy the flukes.

I have searched the forum, and basically all the threads are 2-3 years old at this point. I figure much can happen in that time, so I am looking for recommendations here. We would want it to have CDP/LLDP, toning, IPerf would be awesome, basic reporting, Packet Capture and traffic would be even better.

The cheap low cost tools I have found thus far: Pockethernet - likely the one we will go with unless hear otherwise. shipping out of Europe only is kind of annoying, but I understand they are a smaller company. that also worries me as I don't want an orphaned product eventually

Netool.IO - didn't appear as feature rich, but close to the same price of the Pockethernet. Does seem to have wireless tools, which pockethernet doesn't seem to

Netpi - This is the option I think the coolest. I actually tried to turn this up to test. Unfortunately, the pi3 doesn't seem to like any of the images available. If anyone has been able to get this on a Pi3, that would be a big swing.I don't want to shell out $70 to buy a pi2, screen, case, etc plus effort to get it dialed in.

Others? thoughts? Insults about how ridiculous it is we don't have any kind of testing tool in an international company? Favorite Cake recipes?



No comments:

Post a Comment