Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Router on a stick latency question, uplink/SFP, or access ports on Cisco switch?

Hi Folks-

I am planning a small build with a 48 port all-gig 2960S, and a PFSense router which will use a 4x1gb uplink port channel as the working interface, with LAN/WAN/Other vlans running over the one portchannel.

I was curious if I should put the port channel on the 4x1gb up-link ports using SFPs, or a group of 4 access ports on the 2960S?

What is the best option for latency?

I figured the uplink ports would have better access to the backplane, but given that they would be running through SFPs, the access ports may be better.

I can go either way, and it's really just a curiosity, but I wasn't sure if up-linking through the access ports, or the up-link ports would give better latency, in a perfect world. I have plenty of ports available on the switch, so I can go either way.

Thanks!



No comments:

Post a Comment