Sunday, June 17, 2018

Replacing Google WiFi with Ubiquiti setup? 20-40 devices on network. Also testing for commercial and residential use.

Hi, I am contemplating replacing my google WiFi with Ubiquiti setup. This would initially be for my house, with possible uses in commercial and other high end residential in the future.

As I own a building automation company, I am always testing and working from home a lot. I usually have a minimum of 18 devices on my network, with a max of 30-40 depending on what I am doing. Ideally I want to drop everything off of my WiFi other than phones and laptops. For my work related devices, I would want to create a separate VLAN for my automation and IoT needs.

What would be the minimum hardware to get a Ubiquiti setup up and going? Do i need anything other than one of there access points to plug into my cable modem? Or does it require any additional hardware to get it up and going. I definitely need a switch as well. There is a pretty good deal today on the Ubiquiti Edgerouter ER-4 for $145 as well.

My house is 2500sqft Two floors Motorola MB8600 Cable Modem 1Gbps Comcast 960mbps average on wired / 350mbps gwifi. No WiFi dead spots anywhere with any setup I have used over the years. Mesh or no mesh.

*Near future use I am running a few VM’s in AWS for testing purposes. I plan to use these as my access point for my home automation and customers as well in the future. The front end software I develop with can pretty much communicate with any protocol/machine ever made and allow cross talk.

In the end I am basically looking for recommendations on a Ubiquiti switch and WAP to swap out the google WiFi.

Thanks!



No comments:

Post a Comment