Monday, June 18, 2018

Juniper Opinions

I'm curious what your guys opinion is on Juniper gear (MX routers, EX switches, SRX firewalls etc.). I learned networking working in a Cisco shop and continued working in Cisco shops for about ten years. Then I started a new position that was solely Juniper with the above devices in production. I thought it would be good to get some exposure and experience with Juniper gear since it's the other big networking vendor. I read some of the day one books and Sybex material when I started. It took a little while to get used to the syntax, but after that I became became more or less comfortable using Junos.

I don't think I've read anybody criticizing Juniper here. It always the usual praise (the configuration is more logical, having "commit confirmed", able to access the Linux/BSD shell, less expensive, etc.) While this is mostly true, one of my gripes was (IMO) unintelligible logs and debugs/traces that read more like dmesg output with hex and memory address stuff that made troubleshooting a pain. I have experience working with Linux but for a device that's sold as an appliance, I don't think I should have to not infrequently access the underlying shell just to troubleshoot things.

Probably my biggest gripe was atrocious documentation. IMO it's unorganized and a joke compared to Cisco's. It seemed like there was never enough detail on what I was trying to look up, and overkill detail on esoteric stuff. There is an ocean of info out there for Cisco (both official and unofficial) and I don't think I've ever not been able to find an answer in about five minutes of googling. By comparison, I was trying to find out the answer to a pretty basic Junos MPLS question, and the only thing I found was a juniper-nsp mailing list post from like 2001. IMO good documentation is very important as operators of said equipment. I've also picked up on several occasions this elitist, superiority vibe when it comes to talking with Juniper heads. Frequently taking potshots at Cisco like an opposing sports team fan.

Overall, working with Juniper gear left a bad taste in my mouth and I decided that I would avoid working with their equipment in the future if I could help it. This is probably coming off as a rant, and granted, I'm probably biased since I cut my teeth on Cisco, but I'm curious if anybody else in general just doesn't like working with Juniper.

TL;DR I don't like working with Juniper equipment and prefer Cisco's. Does anybody else feel this way?



No comments:

Post a Comment