Tuesday, June 19, 2018

How would one go about getting a block of IPv6 space normally? Tired of using tunnels.

Long story short, have Verizon FiOS for the office but have to use a hurricane electric tunnel for IPv6.

Verizon is a slow slow slow adopter if at all of IPv6.

Currently everything we run outside of the office (cloud, aws, vps etc) has IPv6 from the respective providers.

The tunnel introduces some issues we would like to avoid such as netflix being blocked (because they block tunnels), other services being blocked, etc.

Currently I maintain an IPv4 only VLAN just for those use cases but it is a hassle to have to do this with more and more clients: laptops, mobile devices all preferring IPv6 over IPv4.

Also, it's the future so lets get on with it.

I was thinking of a few options such as get a VPS provider to allocate me some IPv6 space I can tunnel but that means I am stuck to that provider.

I was also thinking about looking at the auctions (where I have purchased ipv4 space in the past) but I don't even think that is a thing since there is so much ipv6 space available.

I would rather have my own IPv6 space I can tunnel to via a third party over IPv4 like I do with HE.

Another question, just thinking out loud as I type this, could HE tunnel my own IPv6 space for me?

I don't need much space, just tired of using someone elses IPv6 space.

Any ideas welcome.



No comments:

Post a Comment