Sunday, June 24, 2018

Hey Guys, Does This Sound like a Good Idea?

Hello,

Thanks for reading my post. Sorry for the generic headline, but I don't really want to into specifics on my current awful job situation because it would be almost a freaking novel. I really need some feedback and will try to keep this brief as possible.

So here's my situation. My employers forced me into a job role where I am now the assistant to the network admin. This is completely new to me, and he has given me zero guidance or showed a willingless to help me in this role. Well the guy trashed me on my evaluation. His big complaint is that I haven't tried to take on new job roles. So that has left me trying to brainstorm ideas to improve the IT department. Currently I think the IT director is running the department in a manner that could be disastrous. He has put his complete faith in one guy to run the whole network and this guy is really the only person who knows everything. Nothing is documented. Nothing about the servers, network schemas, really only an inventory database which is done in Access.

One idea that came to me is to create a kind of weekly state of the union IT document that will be stored and archived. The document will cover things like network status, current drive space, any errors or changes made. That way if something bad did happen, we have a completely history of when and what was done.

What do you guys think? Does this sound like a good idea? Since I know very little about network administration, maybe things are done a different way. Does your organization do something similar?



No comments:

Post a Comment