Friday, June 29, 2018

DHCP help (Portable setup)

I hope this is the appropriate place for this. Feel free to send me elsewhere if not.

Basically I'm building a case for SAR usage that has a SFF PC, screen, radio stuff and a router in it. The basic idea is I can put it on a table and start working. We don't generally have internet or networking gear initially (we might be based in a woodshed or rugby clubrooms) but as resources arrive we get better infrastructure or on the odd occasion, we operate from somewhere with networking infrastructure existing. The logging software we use is all networked to a database server on one of the computers so it can run without internet, however internet is preferable.

Because of the maybe/maybe not aspect of being connected to external networks, I'd like to have the DHCP server enabled on the router in my case but don't want to run the risk of DHCP foul ups when externally connected.

Has anyone got any bright ideas? Set my case to a different subnet with DHCP and use the gateway address of the other router for internet? Plug the other router into the WAN port of my router? I know just enough to be dangerous here!!

Thanks



No comments:

Post a Comment