Thursday, June 7, 2018

Allow a virtual machine to communicate to a cross-over connected device on host

I have a Windows Server 2016 VM running on Hyper-V which is running itself on Windows 10 Pro.

The VM host has two physical adapters: a wireless card and an Ethernet card.

The host’s Ethernet port is connected to the device through a crossover cable. This device is the one I’m trying to communicate to from the VM. We have the Host’s IP set manually to 192.168.1.100 and I believe the device’s address is 101. We can communicate through the host to the device correctly.

The wireless card of host is connected to a network & internet.

What kind of ‘virtual switch’ should I have the VM use in Hyper-V? (External, internal, private; using Ethernet or Wireless?) Do I need to manually change the IP/Mask/Gateway to anything specific?

I’ve been unable to properly communicate between VM and device and was hoping someone could point me in a direction as I’m a bit over my head.



No comments:

Post a Comment