Tuesday, June 19, 2018

1U datacentre switch options

We currently have x6 1U 3650 switches in a stack as our core switches at our data-centre. They're not really suitable for the job and we've finally been given the go-ahead to replace.

Our previous data-centre had a 4500 series switch and gave us no issues, but the current site doesn't allow cross cab connects (other than our stack cables), so re-using that is out of the question. Additionally it was 10U in size, there's no longer space in our cabinets for it.

Cost is an issue, so I've been looking at Juniper stuff as that seems to offer similar features, (though we don't actually do anything that clever, so as long as they're Layer3 capable that's fine), I am wary of selecting the wrong model and ending up in the same boat. iSCSI traffic completely nailed our 3650 switches until we added a policy map to reduce the number of packet drops.

Can anyone recommend switches that would be appropriate, I'm relatively vendor agnostic, but the Juniper stuff has caught my eye. I have looked into SDN & Cumulus in particular, but I don't think we need anything that clever really. No one in my team is particularly skilled with Lunix either. I'm more than willing to learn, but there are so many hours in the day....



No comments:

Post a Comment