Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Take a demotion for a possible better future career?

Currently I work as a network tech. First IT job and been here about a year and a half. The job is good, no complaints really and I'm getting hands on Cisco/networking experience. However, the pay is dirt and there's 0 opportunity to rise in rank (admin. engineering, etc.)

My friend works at a very large (within the top 50 of the fortune 500 list) company and encouraged me to apply for an IT position there. I didn't get called for an interview for that position but I did get an email from an internal recruiter to set up an interview for another position there. I talked with the recruiter and she mentioned the job is basically "tier 2" desktop support. The pay is a little better than what I'm making now but it's hourly (I'm salary) and the hours are Tuesday-Saturday 8-5PM. (There were 2 other time's available; Sunday-Thursday and a Wednesday-Sunday 7PM-3AM). She sent my resume off to the hiring manager and he wants to set up a face-to-face interview for this position. However, I'd have to take a day off work since the location is 2 hours away each way.

So I guess my question(s) are, if I do get the job offer, should I take it? My friend says the company hires a lot of internal workers and the opportunity for promotion is pretty high(within his department anyway.)

I'm looking to eventually move into administration/engineering but I don't know if this role would allow me to do that. (Would I be breaking any rules if I named the company? I guess if anyone wants to know just PM me and I'll tell.) Also, would it be rude/look bad to ask for a "pre-interview" phone interview to see if the position is something I would want to do and inquire about moving up within the company, instead of driving 2 hours and wasting a day of work and finding out it's nothing I want to do?



No comments:

Post a Comment