Monday, May 7, 2018

Reliable P2P wireless link gear?

My org is out of space at our HQ office and is about to sign a lease for another office space directly across the street as a temporary (i.e. probably 12-24 mos) solution. They're both single story buildings, but there's not really much between them except for road, and as such there is pretty good line of sight. On Google Earth, a straight line between them indicates a distance of about 1200 feet.

Rather than bringing in connectivity at the 2nd location, I'm tempted to see if we can get by with a wireless link. There will only be about 25 people at that location, so the bandwidth needs shouldn't be extreme. I'd like a few hundred Mb/s, but realistically if I could get 100 Mb/s that would probably work. They key is that it needs to be reliable - doesn't do me any good otherwise.

The use case is that everyone across the street would use the wifi link for everything - Internet access, access to our local LAN resources (i.e. file server, print server, etc). Everyone there will also have Cisco IP phones, so I need to make sure that any solution I implement doesn't have latency spikes under load.

The good news is that we're in a relatively undeveloped area, so there shouldn't be any interference from other networks to worry about.

Anybody have suggestions on 1) whether what I'm trying to accomplish is even feasible, 2) what radios I might want to look at, and 3) is this something I can handle myself or do I need to bring in a VAR? Budget is largely a non-issue since I'd probably pay $20k+ for 2 years of metro ethernet between the locations, so even if I have to pay $5-10k for some enterprise bridges that isn't a deal breaker.



No comments:

Post a Comment