Friday, May 4, 2018

Problem with an Link Aggregation between Cisco 4500 and Juniper 3400.

So my work is currently in the process of moving from Cisco to Juniper. So far, its been going a lot smoother than anyone thought it would, but last night we ran into a small problem. Its a weird situation, but essentially my company's network provides VoIP services for another network that is completely separate from ours, so I can't personally look into their switches. This company has a single connection where they pass VoIP traffic to our media gateways. So I built the Juniper switch to replace the Cisco one, but it wouldn't pass the vlan traffic.

The situation is I have a Juniper 3400 connecting to a Cisco 4500x using 4 copper ethernet ports in an aggregated trunk running LACP and passing only the VoIP vlan. I can't check the Cisco 4500 side, because I don't have access to that network, but I am working with their network engineer and I trust him.

My config for Juniper looks like this.

 ae7 { native-vlan-id 666; aggregated-ether-options { minimum-links 1; lacp { active; } } unit 0 { family ethernet-switching { interface-mode trunk; vlan { members VOIP-Vlan; } storm-control default; } } } ge-0/0/46 { ether-options { 802.3ad ae7; } } ge-0/0/47 { ether-options { 802.3ad ae7; } } ge-1/0/46 { ether-options { 802.3ad ae7; } } ge-1/0/47 { ether-options { 802.3ad ae7; } } 

The odd thing is the ports all came up and ae7 showed it as being up. But my mac address table wasn't populating with any phones so it looks like it wasn't passing any traffic. I disabled and enabled my ports on Juniper, but still nothing. The network engineer on the other side says the Cisco 4500 was configured for LACP and had the correct vlan-id. He also shut/no shut his ports as well. Weirdly enough, when we swapped the Juniper back to Cisco, the link came right back up and was passing VoIP traffic. I'm kinda at a lost here. I've done some googling, but haven't come up with anything. Has any of y'all seen something like this?



No comments:

Post a Comment