Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Need some guidance on a building extension.

Hello r/networking.

My boss has tasked me to oversee an office extension/buildout of our new space (it's right next door). I need to make sure that the network portion goes smoothly. There is also a possibility of a dedicated fiber optic install that might happen (pending approval).

Our current building (BUILDING A) has the following equipment: * Watchguard firewall - also does routing * HP 2530-48G * 2x HP Procurve 2510G * HP ProLiant Server/ESXI * QNAP (virtual storage)

This is what I was thinking

  • Add a router such as this one with fiber capabilities. in BUILDING A.

  • Install 2 switches (such as the 2530) in BUILDING B.

  • Configure and install Ubiquiti AP's throughout BUILDING A and BUILDING B.

  • BUILDING B will have Cat6 cabling all throughout. I'm not 100% sure what BUILDING A/our current building has. This was before I joined the company (I assume Cat5e).

  • For all switches, will configure VLAN's on each, subnets will be /20 (except for a DMZ, that's a /24).

My questions are these:

  • 1. Can I link up these two locations via the switches alone? And if not, what would be the best way to do so?
  • 2. Will I need to replace any of my equipment to accommodate the future fiber connection?
  • 3. Some contractors are asking how I want to terminate these connections. I'm not 100% sure, but I've been looking at this page & I'm assuming a standard connection would be ok. But I'm not exactly sure what I should be looking for in regards to my current setup.
  • 4. In regards to a fiber cable drop install, what should I be looking for, or what are some general items I should ask or know about?
  • 5. I'm also adding additional drops to our current space/BUILDING A as well, should I consider re-running existing drops as well to Cat6 (might be too expensive)?

This is my first actual network buildout, and I do have a coworker in our parent location also giving me some advice. This isn't their first expansion, but I'd like to get things done the right way this time (lack of planning has led some of us to have desktop switches in the office). :(

Thanks in advance to everybody.

EDIT Formatting



No comments:

Post a Comment