Friday, May 4, 2018

Managed Switch + NIC Teaming

I'm doing a network overhaul for our core switch and need some advice for NIC teaming best practices. My environment includes:

  • 4 x 10Gb switches configured as a single stack (1 master, 1 slave, rolling failover)

  • Ubuntu servers with 2-4 ports each (some 10Gb, some 1Gb)

  • Multiple VLANs

I'd like to configure 4 x 10Gb NICs for failover and load balancing, so that the server has 40Gb of theoretical bandwidth. Here is a link to the Ubuntu Bonding modes. Based on my understanding, the best option seems to be to bond all 4 physical NICs into a single interface, then add the virtual NICs on top of that. I also want to pass multiple VLAN traffic to the bonded "40Gb" interface.

I believe 802.3ad/LACP is the best option, but even if it is, I'm not sure how to configure the switch as such. Is this truly the best option, or is there a better practice? I can probably figure out the server configuration once I know which mode to choose, but any additional advice is welcome too.

Thanks in advance for any input.



No comments:

Post a Comment