Monday, May 21, 2018

Managed IPphone company recommending switch upgrade/replacement prior to VoIP rollout; sales pitch or necessary?

Hello all, new to posting on here, so I apologize in advance if I'm not following some specific format/guideline for asking this question. I will also mention up front that I am not a networking hardware expert, but I understand the basics.

Basically the title says it all. We are moving to a cloud-based IP Phone system managed by our phone company and from what I've gathered, they pretty much told us we had to upgrade our switches early on in the process, but when an engineer came out for a site survey, they seemed pretty confident that our current setup would suffice (I was also brought into the project after the decision/recommendation for new switches was brought up). We are pretty standardized on Dell N3048 (core/mdf), N2048P and N2024P (IDF) switches throughout our environment. I'm trying to wrap my head around why they're pushing for new switches without stirring up too much drama with the phone company itself . I'm not 100% clear on the PoE functionality of the N3048, although it appears to have some, which could be part of the reason they originally pushed for updated hardware?

We currently have a hodgepdge of digital/IP phones, some of which are already functioning just fine on the switches using PoE, although it does seem like power may be an issue on these switches for higher powered phones?

We aren't against upgrading our hardware, we just want to understand why it would make sense.

TL;DR Does it make sense to upgrade/replace your Dell N3048 (Core/MDF) and N2048P/N2024P (IDF) switches if you wanted to move to PoE/VoIP managed phones, or would that hardware handle it just fine as is or with some upgrading?

We have approximately 100 employees/phone spread out over 4 physical buildings (in an office park) with fiber connecting most of the IDFs.



No comments:

Post a Comment