Friday, May 4, 2018

EdgeRouter - Running out of Internal IP Addresses

I'm in a situation currently with a /23 that is about to run out of IP addresses.

I've seen similar posts on here with "why don't you just add another /24 to it" but I'm not sure I quite understand how this would be done.

The other day I set up a small test with a small VLAN of 1 address (/30) and then tried to connect my phone to the same network but was unable to get an IP address as expected.

I then added a second internal IP to this interface with another /30 and reconnected my phone but still did not get an IP from the next range.

I then added a second DHCP server to provide IP's to this "secondary" range. This didn't work either and the first DHCP server and range complained that it was out of IP addresses.

I posted about this in the Ubiquiti forums but was met with "why wouldn't you just go from a /23 to a /22" but everything I've read and heard from others in various networking groups is that this is a bad practice due to multicast, broadcast, etc.

Am I thinking about this incorrectly?



No comments:

Post a Comment