Friday, April 27, 2018

What (if anything) does a partially-lit link LED on a ProCurve 2810-24G mean?

We have a subtenant moving-in to a vacant floor this weekend and the company told them they could use the existing networking and telephone equipment, which would be fine if there was any to begin with other than a couple abandoned and unlicensed Meraki access points and a bunch of ancient Shoretel phones.

I have pulled a ProCurve 2810-24G out of storage and I am finding that the link LEDs on ports 3 and 5 are barely illuminated.

Searching for information online has proven nearly impossible because other ProCurves have the DIM status LED. Reading the documentation I don't see any failure mode reflected by a partially lit link LED and I can't find a console cable around here.

I have tested the ports and they're negotiating a Gigabit link and there are were no errors in the time I had it plugged in. There are no trouble tickets for this switch but there have been so many layoffs that IT just ceased to function in any organized manner so I wouldn't draw any conclusions from the absence of a trouble ticket.

Does anyone know if the poorly illuminated link LEDs either reflect or foreshadow a future hardware failure?

Thanks



No comments:

Post a Comment