Thursday, April 5, 2018

Stubborn WiFi user...continued

Hey all,

I posted a few days ago. Real quick overview: We have 5520 WLCs (HA) running 8.2 with 52 WAPs of the 1852 variety, spread out between 2.5 floors (fairly big space). We are working on upgrading the code to 8.3

Anyways, I see myself currently with a -46 dBm from the WAP I connect to. On my Mac, I see myself as having a -56 RSSI. All is fairly well. I believe whatever is bolded on the wireless diagnostics scan on Mac is what you are connected to - has to be the case.

Anyways, I am on Zoom with the guy testing this out and I have wireless issues as well. Connected to 5 GHz, no interference or noise going on from what is reported on the WLC, etc. No bluetooth or anything. I noticed when I had the problem (frozen video, 2300 MS pings to 8.8.8.8), I did another scan on the wireless diagnostics on my mac, and I was connected to an AP further away with an RSSI of -73. Why the hell did this happen? The AP I connected to is statically configured for a channel and TX power. The one I was connected to (and sit near) is configured to auto (I will change all to AUTO soon, then re-assess). Did I change channels perhaps? And drop? How can I tell if my AP is changing channels? Why would it happen 5-10 times within 15 minutes?

I know everyone hear hates Apple, but I seriously do not understand what's happening. I had a third guy on Zoom and pinging 8.8.8.8 who was wired, and no issues. I'm just not understanding. I check the WLC, the dBM for me is fine. The channel utilization is fine. The interference is fine. I check wireless diagnostics on my Mac and it's all fine. We get into the video call and suddenly I start switching APs and my signal has done to hell. I was only pushing a few mbps per my Macbook reporting as well. Ugh. Ideas?



No comments:

Post a Comment