Saturday, April 28, 2018

STP and MAC learning

So I was thinking about a project I’ve been working on while folding laundry (exciting right?), and I ran across a spanning tree question I didn’t have an answer to. So here it goes:

If a parallel link has a port in STP blocking mode, does the switch still learn MAC address locations for that port? I could see the argument for it to learn the binding, since you want the fastest possible recovery when moving a port from blocking to forwarding. However, that could also pose a resource problem for the switch and potentially make FIB lookups slower since one could find multiple valid exit interfaces and then need to check for STP forwarding state before making a decision.

How does this work? Or do different vendors implement it differently?



No comments:

Post a Comment