Thursday, April 12, 2018

So I plugged two switches together

Hey guys, I should really know this, but I'm not actually 100% sure what I did that fixed it...

I wanted to cascade a port on one switch out to another switch (allowing multiple devices to the one port)...

It was an 300 series Cisco switch, to a 2960 (the 1 port)....

Every time I connected them at first, the port would fail on the 2960... so first thing I looked into was spanning tree and as its a POE switch the 300, whether power is still on... I found associated settings for these via the GUI and tried again (Spannig tree settings I disabled was RSTP).

So I connect again, and they seem fine, then the port fails after a minute, stays failed, then recovers for a minute or two, then repeats...

So I go searching the logs on the 300 ....it comes up with CDP errors before the failure...so back I go to the config... this time I turn off CDP, LLDP, I also found STP enable in another settings tab so I disabled that...

So now I have a happy connection of switches, but I don't know which setting fixed it and why... I presuming it was the spanning tree and the 300 was set as a route bridge, and the port I was connecting to on the 2960 saw this as a loop (FYI there were no loops at all created) .... but any other theories?



No comments:

Post a Comment