Thursday, April 26, 2018

Shaping yourself for the future of network engineering

I have been a network engineer for a few years and work at a large company that has many different silos for different technologies. For example my department deals with engineering anything networking below firewalls. Those are handled by a dedicated IPS department that I work very closely with. My question for anyone willing to answer would be, how should I be shaping my expertise in order to stay valuable in the job market? I have a couple years prior experience as a systems administrator at a very small company where I did everything, so I at least have working knowledge of all other technologies. Should I be going outside my current job description to master firewalls? Polish up my scripting abilities? concentrate on server infrastructure, and virtual networking? I am very happy at the job I am at now, but you never know what would happen, and I want to keep myself current and viable. Thoughts? Experiences?



No comments:

Post a Comment