Wednesday, April 4, 2018

QSFP <--> 4X 10G SFP+ breakout not working. Troubleshooting tips/ideas?

Hi.

I made a post recently about QSFP to 4X SFP+ breakout and purchased both AOC and DAC for the same need. Still unable to get the connection UP. Any ideas to troubleshoot this would be greatly appreciated, as I have already lost a month over this.

Lenovo NE1072T (QSFP) <---4 X SFP+ -> Isilon NL410 I purchased custom coded breakout cables from fs.com specifying the same above setup. I bought the AOC first, and then DAC with hope that it would work, but both did not.

The connection state is DOWN on both ends after I connect the switch and Isilon with either of the cables.

@omg_the_humanity suggested that I set "system unsupported-transceiver" on the switch and I tried it already.

I made sure the 10GSFP+ ports on the Isilon nodes work by connecting a 10G SFP+ to 10GSFP+ cable to another spare server. Similarly, the 40G QSFP port on the switch works fine if I connect to a 40G QSFP port on a spare server. But the breakout cable wont work.

The Lenovo NE1072T Application guide does not even mention the word breakout. So no luck in official documentation.

The product specification guide of Isilon NL410 states that they only certify a few transceivers and that the make of their NICs are Broadcom (Page # 45), if I understand it correctly. Which fs.com says their breakout cable should be compatible with.

I'm at a loss here. The Isilon nodes only have 10G SFP+ ports and I only have 10 G Base-T ports and QSFP ports. Stuck with using those expensive Isilon nodes on 1G interfaces which frequently maxes out :-(

I cannot purchase a breakout cable from Lenovo because the other end is not Lenovo. I cant ask for EMC because the other end is Lenovo. This optical cabling is a night mare to me. I wish Isilon nodes came with simple old 10GBase-T ports.

If anybody could help me salvage this situation,I will be forever thankful.



No comments:

Post a Comment