Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Physical Network Documentation or Digital Only?

We're moving our server racks into a local DC soon, so I'm prepping plans, vlans, equipment, etc. And I was re-thinking our documentation. We have kept everything in an on-prem Dokuwiki for a long time, but when I was on vacation a couple years ago we had a switching issues in-house and our techs couldn't get to the wiki to figure things out when re-programming. So to avoid this in the future I was considering prepping documentation that's printable, and keeping a hard copy in my office.

So the question, do you only keep your documentation digital and in what format? or do you keep a physical copy as well, and what formats do you use?

I'm considering MarkDown for my digital copy, then I can use Pandoc to make it a PDF for printing. But I'm also considering just straight HTML and CSS (because I'm a glutton for punishing myself) so I can draw the charts and keep everything in a single file without external dependencies, it would also be printable.



No comments:

Post a Comment