Thursday, April 5, 2018

Network Automation Scripts/API Interaction Suggestions

Hi /r/networking

Hopefully this don’t break your posting rules but I am looking for some suggestions what I you guys have automated network wise using python/Cisco APIs.

I am trying to learn python and need a good project to work on. The issue I am having is I can come up with an idea but its just not possible for one reason or another. For example, we make use of Cisco Prime to manage our wireless via templates and basic switch monitoring. So I thought I could I could script the creation of templates for new sites using the Prime API, well the API don’t exposes any template functionality except for clitemplates. Ok I look at doing something with firepower, yet again function x is not available via the API.

Anyone got any suggestions on something I could work on which might be useful? (we looking at the APIC controller so I have avoided config generation for devices).

Thanks

Edit: In terms of our envrioment we a Cisco shop for anything networking. all switches routers are manually configured (looking at APIC to automate that), Cisco WLC is manage via Prime. We have firepower devices managed via FMC. We dont have any issues other than everything done the old faction wait - ssh into the device and manually make changes as required etc



No comments:

Post a Comment