Thursday, April 12, 2018

network automation career questions

Have a few questions related to automation in networking and thought it could start some good conversations.

  • What separates a network engineer that can code/automate tasks vs a true network automation engineer? Both in mindset and skills?
  • How important is really understanding how a scripting language works to being an automation engineer? Do you need to understand OOP or is that just a nice to have kind of thing?
  • When would a network engineer need to use classes in scripts? I can see how in certain situations in software it can be helpful, but I've written countless network automation/verification type scripts without the usage of classes, and since I've started digging deeper into OOP, I can't for the life of me see how classes would benefit/improve any of the scripts I've written
  • Anyone that is currently a network automation engineer, how did you make that leap from being a network engineer who writes code, to an automation engineer? And What is your day to day like?


No comments:

Post a Comment