Thursday, April 19, 2018

Network Admin looking for career advice

Hey all,

I'm currently working as a network administrator for fairly large company in the midwest. I've only been employed with this company for about 7 months and already extremely frustrated on a daily basis. Let me just start of by saying that I have about 5yrs experience going from desktop support to a jr netadmin and now netadmin (all with different companies). I have my CCNA RS and am currently about 1/2 done with CCNP.

Now onto the frustrations.... we have about 5 people that are on the network/system team. 2 of which are Sr level, but started out as pc techs that basically just stuck around long enough to get promoted to Sr level without any certifications or what I would call "official training". Also they have not worked in IT for any other company.

So with that being said I am in constant arguments about how the network "should be" based off of my past experience with different lines of business and different areas of the IT spectrum. Since they both have the Sr title, I get shut down pretty fast with things like "thats not appropriate for us because of x, y, and z" or "How does that technology work? I'm not familiar with it" (which leads to massive delays due to them being uneducated in the subject matter). Our company requires reviews from any network or system changes to be reviewed by a Sr, so that means every time I do something without informing them first I get the "why didn't you consult with us first?" or "Yeah we've been meaning to do this for a while, just haven't had the time" (But yet they are always having meaningless conversations ALL DAY!! and getting no real work done)

I've mentioned this to my supervisor multiple times. Saying that I know what i'm talking about and that they are not as familiar with networking as I am (I know this makes me look bad but hey I try to be honest). Anyways, he refuses to do anything about it because they are his "golden boys" always brown nosing when he's around and using big words to sound smarter than they actually are. I'm really considering leaving for another company, but have reservations on how it may look leaving my first network admin job after only 7 months.

I'm so close to having my CCNP that I'm considering just holding out and applying for more of the network engineer/arch type role. Has anyone else been in similar situations and how you were able to overcome them?



No comments:

Post a Comment