Wednesday, April 18, 2018

mid level engineer looking for advice

I've been working as a network engineer for about 3 years, but have been in the industry around 6. Currently, I work as an engineer in a large data center. The job is enjoyable and the people are decent, but I think I'm starting to burn out. This industry has very few 'thank you's' and looking back on my past projects, it all seems reward-less. When I look back on my work legacy in 25 years, what will I have to show for it? What will I have actually done to benefit the human race? All this tinkering with protocols just isn't adding up to me anymore.

From a professional stance, I enjoy constantly learning to increase my pay, but at the same time, money isn't doing it for me anymore either. Big pay checks have lost their luster I guess. I cant say I'm really "passionate" about networking or new technologies, although I do enjoy teaching newbies. I like wrapping my head around any complicated topic and passing down the knowledge.

So I'm not really sure where I should go from here. I'm prior service, so I have my GI Bill and could go back to school, but that's a box of worms on its own. I've thought about starting my own business doing video courses and tutoring, but it seems like that market is saturated by sites like Udemy. I feel like that train has passed to make a decent living. I've considered also becoming a consultant, but don't know enough about it to make an informed decision.

Anywhoo, your advice/insight is appreciated.



No comments:

Post a Comment