Saturday, April 14, 2018

MAC dependent port configuration

Hey r/networking, I take over and refresh network equipment on networks I did not previously manage several times a year. We spend a LOT of time trying to map existing patch panels and switch configs to new equipment.

It seems to me, we already know which vlan each of the MAC addresses belong in via DHCP/ARP and CAM tables. It seems surprising to me that I might be the first person to have this issue. Is there a protocol or software suite out there, that I'm unaware of, that can do this? I've got ideas about how to develop it, if I have to go that route, but we'd pay for and/or learn an existing solution.

I've does some due diligence and found VMPS, and we're not working with Cisco equipment. I also need to configure more than just the vlan. Each vlan usually has a silghtly different configuration.

Any thoughts out there?



No comments:

Post a Comment