Friday, April 27, 2018

Looking for input on IGP implementation

So I have recently inherited a network that is much larger than what I have previously built. Once again I am the sole proprietor of said network and I have some plans to "fix" what the previous person did and did not do. I have identified the potential of an IGP on a certain closed network to make general configuration and maintenance easier, so on to my question.

In a previous role when we used OSPF one of my senior network guys told me when adding a new MLS to the network to simply add the supernet of a network that was probably broken into like 20ish subnets. i.e. 192.168.0.0 0.0.255.255 as opposed to actually adding the subnet that was on the OSPF interface. Something smaller like 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.255

Everything always worked, but this seemed like bad practice to "overscope" a network like that, and since I have not had the pleasure of working with many experienced networking people I was wondering if there were any thoughts that some of you all may have on the topic.



No comments:

Post a Comment