Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Help? Trying to figure out a project

Let me start off with, I am not a networking guy by trade, but do work in the IT realm. I know enough to get into trouble, at that's where I'm currently at.

I am part of a statewide emergency communications team. One of our duties is providing internet and VOIP services to public safety agencies during disasters. We have multiple vehicles and trailers that currently have separate small office type networks on their own (non-standardized) /24. As we add more server type services to our units, I thought it would be a good idea to start standardizing some of these networks so we could tie into the servers from other units while we are deployed together.

My original plan was to setup a /16 across all the units, with each unit utilizing the space of a /24 (but still set to a /16). Then, if we bridged any two or more networks with a switch, clients one one unit would see the servers on the other, and vise versa. The downside to this is there would be two or more DHCP servers that may answer. Their address space would not overlap, though. It's still not a very elegant solution.

Someone then suggested RIP. But looking at it,, I can only configure it on one of the WAN ports on our router. Because of NAT, I don't think this, by itself, would help us. Clients on network A could see the router of B, but not the clients on B's subnet (assuming I'm understanding RIP and how it works with NAT correctly).

I was then thinking, if I could combine RIP with a static route, but again, I know just enough to get myself in trouble with static routes. My understanding, I could set 10.10.1.1 255.255.0.0 with a gateway of 0.0.0.0 pointed at the WAN port RIP is on. if my local subnet is 10.10.1.0, and I wanted to go to 10.10.2.2, it would route it out through my specified WAN port which, with RIP, would be set up to deliver the the packet to a router at 10.10.2.1, and then to 10.10.2.2 that sits behind it.

Would this work, or should I stick to the kludge of putting all the units on 10.10.0.0/16 and deal with the multiple DHCP server issue? My biggest hurdle is this network needs to be adaptable, because we don't know in advance what other units will be there, and the routers we have won't allow enough static routes for one for each unit.



No comments:

Post a Comment