Friday, April 20, 2018

Etherner runs, takes longer to connect.

Okay so I've wired my new house up with Ethernet cables. I've got internet and I'm trying to test out each run. So far I've tested eight, and I've ran a speedtest on each. One in particular connects, but where the others connect to the network instantly, this seems to take around 12-13 seconds to connect. But it seems okay once connected (not spent any considerable amount of time on it though, literally just ran a speedtest).

My testing isn't great, my new laptop doesn't have an ethernet port, so I've had to get my old laptop out (not very fast anymore), and it's currently installing about 200 windows updates.

Also, some of the runs were a little too short, I cut plenty off, but clearly not enough, so I've used some spare Cat5e keystone jack's to connect extra cable to them. The socket in question may be one of those, but as it stands I'm not 100% sure of that.

Anyway, is this a sign there may be an issue with stability? Is it likely it's just one of cables that had to be patched up, or should I not worry?

Any software available to check line stability/speed? I normally run big files across my home network to my NAS, but I haven't moved in yet so that isn't here.



No comments:

Post a Comment