Thursday, April 19, 2018

Branch office PoE switches with little inter-switch traffic: 1x48 vs 2x24 port?

I'm debating 1x48 port vs 2x24 port PoE switch configuration for branch offices where I need more than a single 24 port switch. Space in rack, power outlets, and few ports lost going 2x24 would not be a concern. Switches will be HP 2530G.

If I uplink each switch through the firewall (1 per switch), the only inter-switch traffic through the firewall's interface would be for printing, and that would only be for users on the switch not connected to the printer. No concern with traffic in terms of firewall load. All remaining traffic is out through internet, there are no other local services. Even if I uplink switches to each other than single GbE port out to firewall, I honestly don't have concern about the inter-switch traffic, as the internet connection at these locations is generally a 150/20Mbps connection or less, so there's just no way to max out a single uplink shortcut of some local computer-to-computer transfer we may need to do for some random reason.

I like the redundancy aspect of 2x24 switches, so that should one switch fail, at least I can keep part of the office up. That being said, there would be a SPOF in many other areas--firewall, power, internet, so it's minimal redundancy gained. I also recognize that in offices that only need a single 24 port switch, I have switch SPOF, and the majority of the office are single switch.

Opinion on which way to go and why?



No comments:

Post a Comment